Friday, July 25, 2008

An Open Letter to Jimmy Buffett

Today I am writing an open letter to one of my heroes, Mr. Jimmy Buffett. Why, you may ask am I writing a letter to a cult hero whose audiences worship him in grass skirts and parrot hats? Well its because the first time in many years, I missed his annual show in Pittsburgh this past Tuesday July 22, 2008, and I want to apologize to Jimmy for not being there to support him and the Coral Reefers.

Dear Mr. Jimmy Buffett,
First of all let me say, that I am truly sorry that I missed your concert earlier this week, and though I was unable to attend many of my friends attended. My absence this year is due my ongoing internship in Munich, Germany (I am listening to “Far Side of the World” as I type) where your music is not well known (you should possibly think of teaming up with Jack Johnson on his next European tour, he was fantastic). Your music has truly been inspirational to me throughout my life, and I would like to recount some of the more vivid memories that your music brings to mind.
There will always be the summer months of course, but particularly I remember August during my high schools days when driving home from two-a-days my best friend and I would always pop in my “Songs you Know by Heart” tape. Your music put me in a relaxed state after practicing in the hot humid West Virginia summers. Jimmy, you are eternally linked in my mind with a sea foam green Honda Accord.
Another one of my favorite memories is of my senior class trip to Myrtle Beach. One night while we were “celebrating” our graduation from high school one of my close friends (and follow Jimmy Buffett fan) disappeared and I was unable to find him. Later that evening when I returned to my room, I located him sitting in a closet singing “Tin Cup Chalice” to himself. As I moved him from the closet to a bed, I joyfully helped him to finish his stirring rendition of a classic.
You have played such a large role in my life, that during my freshman year of college I wrote a paper on you have influenced me. I was required, along with everyone else, to take English 101, and for one of the many pointless papers we were required to write, I chose Mr. Buffett as my topic. The paper was about how finding Jimmy Buffett saved me. It recounts how your music has always displayed an easy going lifestyle that I found to suit me world views as well.
As you can see Mr. Buffett, your music has been throughout my life and been an inspiration, and as I mentioned earlier, I am truly sorry that I was unable to attend your concert this past week and look forward to seeing you next time you a come through the ‘Burgh.

Sincerely,
A Fan for Life

Now I know Mr. Buffett will probably never read this (if he did that would be super awesome), but I felt that I needed to apologize because he has played such an important role in my life. I am also including a small list of the top Jimmy Buffett songs you probably never heard of.

Barefoot Children in the Rain
Desperation Samba
Kinja Rules
One Particular Harbor
Gypsies in the Palace
Public Relations
Vampires Mummies and the Holy Host

I am sure there are many more but these are some of my favorites.

No comments: