Thursday, September 10, 2009

Interning on Capital Hill


This Fall semester I will be interning on Capital Hill and hope to share my experiences here so others can understand what it is like up on the Hill. I will not be commenting too much about legislative issues or the Representative I am working for as I hope to use this forum to talk about my experiences and the role of an intern on the Hill.

My first day was this past Tuesday, as Monday was Labor Day, and was quite nervous about interning in the most powerful legislature in the world. I was quickly introduced to the staff, its amazing how many people are required to run one office, and shown my little desk. One of the Jr. staff members then gave me a quick tour through the House office buildings most likely so I can do menial tasks for him. As Tuesday was just an introduction I did not do anything particularly interesting, nor did I believe I would, but I answered phone calls, sorted the mail, and stuffed envelopes. Nothing I haven’t done before. I am looking forward to next week where I will learn how to give tours in the Capital and possibly go to some committee hearings.

Also I am now blogging at PatriotPoliticos, a blog run by GMU students interested in politics.

No comments: