Monday, June 15, 2009

So You Say You Want A Revolution


While the Iranian protesters took to the streets this weekend, most Americans heard relatively little information on the events. CNN America's larges news network along with Fox and MSNBC chose to ignore the events in Iran (though CNN defends itself here). Fortunately bloggers like Andrew Sullivan, with his vast network of sources, was able to keep us informed on the events in Iran. Until this weekend I believed twitter to be an idiotic, a way for people to pretend they are friends with celebrities, but I have changed my mind. To quote others, "The Revolution must be Twittered."

It was a strange weekend to say the least as I went to church, played tennis, and enjoyed my family and friends, the Iranian students where marching through Tehran as the police brutally beat them.

I may not be the most informed person, but I do know that many Iranians desire change. Last year as I interned for the WVEO in Munich I met an Iranian man at the Chemspec trade show who told me that he would love to do business in my country and that someday in the future after Bush and after Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that hopefully our two nations could work together economically and politically. Hopefully this day will arrive soon.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Iranian youth as they fight for their freedom. While there are no rallies planned here in West Virginia, I will be wearing green today in solidarity with the students of Iran in the hopes that tyranny and the dictatorship of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

No comments: