Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Henry Fairlie and Ted Kennedy


Even though school is about to begin again next week, I am chest deep in several books that I am scurrying to finish; however, I just began today reading "Bite the Hand That Feeds You" a collection of Henry Fairlie's work and was struck by several quotes, but this is by far my favorite:

"however jaded we may sometimes feel when we watch the operations of politics, it is impossible in the end not to admire the at once sublime and ridiculous process by which we free men contrive to govern themselves."

For me, this holds special precedence in today's political climate as I watch the debates of health care and the outrage of the demos at the town hall meetings. Most people and politicians believe that every American citizen should have access to health care, but unfortunately we are unable to reach a consensus which has created a political circus. Yet, some type of health care bill will be passed, but the strength of this bill is what is really being debated.

I would also like to remark on the passing of Edward "Ted" Kennedy. While I am just now developing my own political identity and have no real recollections of Kennedy's service, I sill feel a sense of loss as the country losses one of its great statesmen. I may not have agreed with Mr. Kennedy or his policies; however, the clashing of ideology and the compromises that arise from them create the most solid and lasting legislation, and the loss of a great political leader leaves one party somewhat weakened.

Senator Byrd, who represents my home state, is also facing his death and his death will mark the end of political era in my opinion. The above photo shows John and Ted campaigning WV and so this post will end with a quote by Mr. Kennedy that he said about my state:

"'These hills, these people, and this state have had a very special meaning for my family. Our lives have been tightly intertwined with yours."

No comments: