Sunday, March 30, 2008

Back to Morgantown

Spring Break has officially ended and the WVU libraries are packed with students completing homework and papers they should have completed over the week. This week I was able to pretty much finish my history capstone paper, its still a little rough, and though its not what I expected at the beginning of the semester I am happy with my research project. I was also able to read a couple books.


The best out of all them was "The Lady MacBeth of Ltsenk District" by Nikolai Leskov. This book, written in 1865 was an amazing novella about a women who falls in love with a peasant, and the ensuing actions she takes to keeper her lover. I also read a short biography of Martin Luther by Stephen Nichols. As Christian and product of the Catholic school system, I find religious history interesting. I also began reading "Blowback" by Chalmers Johnson for by history class on US foreign Policy. I have only read the first few chapters, and I can agree with some of his arguments.


During my week off, I also watched a handful of movies and by far "Death at a Funeral" was the best. This dark comedy had an amazing story, cast, and I would recommend it to anyone. Another film I finally saw was "Into the Wild", this film based on a book by the same name, by the way the book is one of my all time favs, did an accurate job of telling the story of Christopher McCandles and is just as moving as the book.


Tonight the on HBO the fourth installment of the John Adams story will be shown. I have not read the book the series is based on, it actually been in my to read pile for a year, but the story from what I have read about Adams does an excellent job; watch it!

No comments: