Friday, March 7, 2008

One Hellish Week

This week, while the Democratic party began to self implode, I worked my way through two more midterms and turned in an outline and rough draft for my capstone class (My paper happens to focus on German Expellees after WWII). After taking four exams in the past two weeks I am burnt out and look forward to an restful weekend in the library researching. As graduation quickly approaches I am now searching for a job or an internship especially since I was rejected from graduate school. However, I plan on reapplying next year (I really think that I rushed into the entire process which made my applications look sloppy). As for the job search, next weekend I am going to NYC for the Big East job fair which should be fun, yet I will miss what I am sure will be an awesome lecture on Russian prison tattoos. With the popularity of Eastern Promises, our Slavic studies program is bringing in a guest lecturer next Friday, but I will be in the city.



The business news is not looking so good this week either. With rising inflation and the current recession, the job market for new graduates looks the bleakest in years (except for my roommate who was hired by the consulting giant Accenture), and a Wall Street Journal article reports that job cuts have already begun. The EU Central Bank decided yesterday that they will fight off inflation instead of trying to increase growth . . . the opposite of the Fed. Yet, the Fed's plan to grow the economy instead of focusing on inflation seems to failing as reports today indicate that the economy may have negative growth this quarter.



This week I began reading "Crime and Punishment" by the famous Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky, which I must say is interesting. The plot and the story is intriguing, but the style or maybe the translation makes the work some what confusing. Also this week the film "Into the Wild" came out on DVD, and I can't wait to see it because the book of the same title is amazing and one of my all time favorites.

1 comment:

Mad Russian the Natural Philosopher said...

Doug,
For Crime & Punishment, try Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky's translation.